- Keep your roof clean. Debris is one of the leading causes of roof damange and leaks. Ensure that it is free of dead leaves, wayward branches, garbage, and other waste.
- Trim overhanging tree branches. If you have trees with branches that hang over your roof, have the branches trimmed. This will greatly reduce the amount of organic debris that ends up on your roof in the first place, making the need for roofing repairs less likely.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can lead to ice dams, which can cause major problems in your attic and the upper floor of your home. Be sure your gutters are free of leaves and other debris before the temperature starts to drop below freezing on a regular basis.
- Upgrade your attic insulation. A well-insulated attic can prevent a lot of roof leaks, since many winter leaks are caused by snow which melts because too much heat escapes through the roof you’re your home. Insulation inhibits heat transfer, making this scenario less likely to occur.
- Use a roof rake. These handy products are ideal for removing excess snow accumulation from your roof, which is another excellent way to prevent ice dams and roof leaks. Just take care not to snag the rake on your gutters as you draw it back down.
Should you need any further advice on winter roof maintenance, or help with roofing repairs for your home, contact Nurnberg Roofing. We provide affordable, professional roofing repair and maintenance services to both residential and commercial clients throughout Oklahoma.